Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chloe's First Birthday (and My Little Sunbeam)

On Friday my baby turned one! That went by way too fast. We got to have a little birthday party on Saturday. I was a little worried because she usually cries when there is a big group of people. I felt like I was going to torture her for her birthday. To my surprise she actually did really well. It only took her a few minutes to warm up and then she was pretty happy the rest of the time.

There is a Korean tradition that on a child's first birthday you set out a pencil, some string, a dollar, and an apple, and let them choose one. The pencil means they will be smart, the string means longevity, the dollar means the will be wealthy and the apple means they will be healthy. Well so far both of my kids are going to be able. She went straight for the apple and tried to take a bite. Ryan did they exact same thing. I guess we like food at our house :)

I couldn't decide what to make for her cake and then I got a magazine in the mail that showed an owl party. Then the next day I was cleaning and found her little owl hat from Halloween so I decided we would do owls. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm definitely not the next cake boss, but I was happy with how it turned out. I even had her wear her little hat while she ate the cake. It was pretty cute. My mom said I need to make her a matching hat for her cake every year, which I think would be pretty fun. Anyways enough of me, check out how cute my kiddos are. I stuck in a picture of Ryan who is a big Sunbeam now. My kids are just growing up way too fast!

Eating the apple she chose.

Birthday cake

Getting ready to dig in.

She was pretty dainty about it at first.

She decided she really liked squishing it between her fingers

Mmmm....cake.

She was super mad at me when I took it away but that's a lot of cake for a little baby.

So Dax's parents brought some hand me down clothes for us and this Winnie the Pooh costume was in with them. Since Chloe was dressing up in her Korean outfit Ryan thought he needed to dress up too. It was pretty hilarious and he wore it almost the whole time until he started getting too hot.

Giving kisses to the bear that Grandpa and Grandma gave her. This child is obsessed with soft things!

Isn't he the cutest little Sunbeam ever? I think so far he has done okay. I think the first week was better than this last one. When I went to get him from class he crawled out and was meowing. I'm afraid he may have been a cat during class time too. Hopefully with time he will get better at sitting still. He has really cute teachers that are super patient and do a good job with them. They have a HUGE class, and I think Ryan might count as having 3 kids.

3 comments:

CORYNN AND JER said...

Great owl cake! That Korean tradition is so cool - cute kiddos!

Unknown said...

She is SO CUTE I want to squish her! Happy Birthday Chloe! I'm also digging Pooh Bear, he's pretty cute too! :)

Mike, Heidi, and Matthew said...

I miss reading your posts. We need more pictures. I need to come see you again.